Dental Fun Facts!
- NO CAVITIES? There is evidence to suggest that in prehistoric times, early humans didn’t really have cavities because they didn’t consume sugar!
- TONGUES ARE LIKE FINGERPRINTS - In addition to being one of the strongest muscles in the body, tongues have a unique “tongue print”. Researchers are working on 3-D imaging machines to take tongue prints.
- KNOCK ON WOOD - Much to the astonishment of many Americans, George Washington’s legendary dentures were not made of wood! They were made from a combination of elephant and hippopotamus ivory.
- SPEAKING OF ELEPHANTS…Elephants have six sets of teeth throughout their life! The final teeth are over eight inches long from front to back and weigh more than eight pounds.
- HOW MANY TEETH? Children between the ages of 5-6 usually have 20 teeth, whereas adults have 32 permanent teeth (including wisdom teeth). Cats have 30 teeth, dogs have 42, and sharks have approximately 50 teeth at one time and can go through 30,000-50,000 in a lifetime!
- POOL OF SPIT - The average person produces approximately 15,655 liters of saliva in a lifetime; enough to fill a medium size swimming pool